Welcome The New Swedish Cuisine – much more than Smorgasbord and herring. Swedish cuisine is traditionally quite easily and spices are used relatively sparingly. Traditional ingredients and modern food culture includes influences from other cultures.
Stockholm has long been a top-notch destination for serious gourmands and experimental chefs. Swedish cuisine covers a range of Swedish cuisine and traditions around food and drink.
You have probably heard of the smorgasbord – a large table which is usually placed in the middle of the dinning-room with fancy dishes. These dishes are based sometimes on a unique national tradition during the winter season. Fish (particularly herring), meat and potatoes played prominent roles. Famous dishes include Swedish meatballs are traditionally served with gravy, boiled potatoes and pancakes
Historically, the Swedish cuisine has been very open to foreign influences , ranging from the Turkish inspired cabbage rolls and French cuisine between the 1600s and 1700s to sushi, pizza, brunches and kebab during the 1900s later part.
Meal times breakfast 8- 11 am luncheon 11-14.00 dinner from 17.00
Food and drinking – Swedish food and popular gastronimic restaurants in Stockholm
You find the some of the best lunch restaurants close to Rörstrandsgatan.
- Frantzén is ranked #31 in the World
- Restaurant AG – for genuine meatlovers and one of the best meat restaurants in the World
- Shibumi, Kungstensgatan 2
- Ekstedt – they use wood fire… Humlegardsgatan 17, Stockholm
- Mathias Dahlgren Matsalen
- F12 Restaurant, Fredsgatan 12, exclusive food
- Grand Hotel, Södra Blaiseholmskajen 8, exclusive food
- Lux Stockholm
- Jonas Grossmanns
- Ulla Winbladh, Rosendalsvägen 8
- Lilla Ego
- Restaurang Volt
- Smak, Oxtorgsgatan 14
- Operakällaren, exclusive and expensive food
- Hotel Skeppsholmen – relaxing atmosphere
- Urban Deli Nytorget 4
- Matbaren, Södra Blaiseholmshamnen 6
- Rosendals Trädgård, Rosendalsterrassen 12 (Djurgården)
South of Stockholm
- Mong Kok – great Chinese restaurant Fredsborgsgatan Liljeholmen
- Två små svin – cozy restaurant in Årsta with danish smørrebrød
Outside Stockholm you have Fäviken in Järpen ranked #25 in the World.
Restaurants with great views…
- Gondolen – perfect view and a a feature on Stockholm’s skyline, Stadsgården 6
- Restaurang Himlen and skybar located in the top of the skyscraper skrapan in Sodermalm
Italian food in Stockholm
The best vegetarian restaurants in Stockholm:
Lao Wai on Luntmakargatan 74
Hermans – If you are in for vegetarian food then you should visit Hermans. Veggo restaurant with fantastic view fjällgatan Södermalm
Bars with food
- Sturehof, stureplan 2 famous for seafood and a great bar
- Café Opera
Karl XII:s torg 1 08-676 58 00 Mon-Sat 11.30-24.00
- Berns – serveral different bars for instance wine bar and cocktailbar.
- Riche – Birger Jarlsgatan 4. Great bar and pick up place.
Check out White guide to find the best restaurants in Sweden.
Marketplaces with food in Stockholm
- Östermalmshallen – fancy place
- Hötorgshallen – not so fancy place
- Skärholmen – suburban area
Swedish- food you must try!
- Sourdough – the have a great place at http://www.urbandeli.org/bageriet/
- Semla – cream-filled puffs
- Crayfish parties – Seasonal and if you visit a Swede in every August changes are big that you will visit an outdoor crayfish party with a lot of alcohol and you will wear a funny hat. It is very traditional.
- The icebar – a permanent icebar
Related article about food in Sweden
Planet Appetite: Nordic Food Revolution Hits West Sweden